Friday, July 23, 2010

What's In A Name?

For over four decades, I've kept part of my name secret. It's my confirmation name.

If you're unaware of this nuance of Roman Catholic practice, the following Wikipedia entry will be helpful:

Confirmation is in all Roman Catholic churches, a rite of initiation normally by laying on of hands and/or anointing for the purpose of bestowing the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Included in the Confirmation ritual is the selection of a Confirmation name. At that time in my life, I was religiously inclined. I looked through a book of names acceptable for Catholic rites. One of them was Alexander, which appealed to me. However, the name I chose was connected to the very early days of the Catholic Church -- Sixtus.

As I matured, I became uncomfortable with the choice. It was just something I wouldn't talk about, not that anyone asked. My parents knew the name; beyond them, I don't have any idea who knows, or who cares.

Now, you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment