Sunday, July 25, 2010

To Rest or Not to Rest?


I spoke this evening with a friend who took a day off from work today. Historically, she has uneasily wrestled with the idea of taking a twenty-four break from paid employment. I understood her misgivings. Sometimes, it's quite difficult for me to fully embrace the idea of rest. I often skirt the issue by dawdling over a project, or giving some task insufficient attention.

My friend's episode, and my own approach, made me wonder how others come to a decision regarding rest. Is it easy or difficult to decide? Is there a schedule involved? Are there "planned" days or periods for rest? How does one value rest?

I can't say I have any coherent notions, plans, or useful background on this topic. However, the question and the exploration toward its answer is pertinent for all of us, and certainly fitting with the dog days of summer approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment