Saturday, July 10, 2010

Maysa Leak

Maysa LeakMaysa Leak can sing. I'm just becoming familiar with her repertoire, which spans the past two decades. My understanding is that she worked extensively in the UK, notably with the band Incognito. When I listen to her songs, though, she strikes me as an independent voice rather than a singer inseparable from a band's sound. Her style, which refreshingly blends jazz, r&b, and some funk, respects a tune while respecting herself.

Leak's Baltimore connection also interests me. She was born and raised in Baltimore County, and lives in the Baltimore area now with her son, Jazz.

I'm not wild about Maysa's "official" website. An uncomplicated online search will turn up other sites with rich, coherent information about her career, music, and life. The music, easily available via web outlets, is worth checking out this summer, or anytime, for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment