Saturday, August 21, 2010

State Fair

A story in this weekend's Financial Times used the Iowa State Fair as its departure point to discuss how Midwestern agriculture has avoided the economic downturn many other Americans are experiencing. The article reminded me of the time I visited that uniquely American institution and ritual -- a state fair.

When I was a young boy, my family lived near Syracuse, New York. Among other things, Syracuse was home to the New York State Fair. My parents weren't crazy about the State Fair, and I only recall going to the fair once. I vaguely remember rides, live entertainment, and some agricultural exhibits.

Living in the New York metropolitan area doesn't encourage enthusiasm for state fairs. The venues are too far away; in the case of Syracuse, it's approximately 300 miles from the Empire
State Building. New Jersey's state fair is a sorry event, and few in the Garden State care about it. I'd like to say my four years of college studies in Wisconsin included a visit to the state fair. They didn't.

However, if a Midwestern style state fair were within a reasonable driving distance from my New Jersey residence, I would love to visit one now.

3 comments:

  1. What was so "sorry" about the NJ State Fair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It occurs to me that you must be referring to the “State Fair Meadowlands” and not the New Jersey State Fair, Sussex Farm and Horse Show. Next August try the real New Jersey State Fair in Augusta NJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I was thinking about the Meadowlands fair. I'll keep the Augusta venue in mind and give it a fair shake. Thanks for suggesting it.

    ReplyDelete