Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blues Like They Never Went Away














I purchase music online via a monthly deal with a legitimate Internet music provider. I principally use the service to purchase new or relatively new releases in music I enjoy, such as funkand its "neo" offspring, acid jazz, soulful female vocalists, downtempo, old school r&b and vintage jazz, some dance, some electronic, some soundtracks, and an occasional rap or Latin song.

In my zeal to accumulate, I neglected music from where I began my most ardent listening -- the blues. One reason for missing the exit for the blues was that I have a slender vinyl collection, along with some 45s and 78s. I like them, although from a serious collector's perspective, these relics of long-gone vinyl eras are nothing special. However, they've always been there, through the good times and bad, analogous to an insecure child's stuffed animal. Still, I ignored the recordings in my recently reawakened desire to understand and enjoy contemporary music.

The music provider recently offered me some extra tracks for free. These allowed me to consider purchasing some blues. I bought some, and I've included images of three musicians -- Blind Lemon Jefferson, Howlin' Wolf, and Charley Patton -- to provide a sense of my taste in blues.

The listening feels good.


No comments:

Post a Comment