Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Weird TV

Lately, I've been captive to a television. And it hasn't taken me long to come to an obvious conclusion: TV programming is weird. It's far stranger than reading New York tabloids, one of which I scanned at lunch this afternoon. The newspaper seemed sane compared to the small screen's lurid "news" segments, police procedurals, and bad comedies.

A painfully dim game show I saw earlier this evening illustrates my point. The show featured a contestant and host standing on the roof of a Los Angeles building. The contestant was involved in a stupid guessing game. The truly odd moment was the "drama" manufactured by watching prizes placed on a conveyor belt, which spilled stuff off the roof and crashed many floors below. What was entertaining about this spectacle? I just don't get it.

If you have an explanation why anyone would find this diverting, please post. Inquiring minds would like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment