Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Religion "Question"

Religion has always been a loaded issue for me. For me, it's an emotional stew that's never come together. I've rarely talked about the "question," have never written about it, and basically have kept my religious sentiments and thoughts from coalescing.

Ironically, I've frequently been engaged with religious environments. I sang in a church choir when I was quite young. I taught for a non-sectarian language school housed in one of New York's best known houses of worship. I worked -- to my regret -- for a Catholic university. My wife and I helped friends complete a pre-nuptial religious ritual that involved the use of our home. Yet, if someone had asked me if I were religious, I would say "no."

Today? Let's just say it's an open question.

1 comment:

  1. Religion has been a question for me throughout the years as well. I've always considered myself agnostic. Today, I think I'm more spiritual. Perhaps, using the word "religious" is too strong or doesn't encompass enough; whereas being spiritual encompasses so much more.

    I don't think religion, spirituality, etc. ever has to be a "closed" question...

    ReplyDelete