Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Tejana Musician Lydia Mendoza

Lydia Mendoza stamp
(Image: USPS.com)
A visit to my local post office led to discover a musician I did not know until today. It all started with a need to purchase first-class stamps. I typically use them for bill payments. I had bills due and precious few stamps in the house, so I went to the PO. I like to buy a mix of small-sized and larger dimension items. Among the latter, available stamps were an edition honoring the late Tejana singer Lydia Mendoza.

I was entirely unfamiliar with her music and her background. Once I returned home, I listened to samples of her songs. I liked them enough to purchase Arhoolie Records' La Alondra de la Frontera con Orquesta Falcon. The simple, heartfelt tunes fit my mood, and I thought the musicianship was more than capable.

Some days, one just gets lucky, and today was one of those days for me. I enjoyed the accidental moment that led me to explore Lydia Mendoza's music. Even better, I appreciated discovering her many late life accolades, including the National Medal of Arts, the National Endowment for the Arts' National Heritage Fellowship Lifetime Achievement Award, and the Texas Medal of Arts. And I have the Tejana singer's music, proof that lyrical beauty does not require algorithmic wizardry, Madison Avenue hype, or Hollywood glamor.

Oh, yeah, I like the stamps, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment