Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sotheby's To Auction Original, Working Apple 1 Computer

Apple-1 computer
My wife owns a Mac 512K, complete with a cassette tutorial that includes musical background by Bill Evans. Now, my bride is a deeply committed Apple user, but she's not an engineer. And she's anything but a nerd. She's also not a collector of vintage computers. However, there is a growing crowd that's interested in original issue computers. Will they pay top dollar for scarce, historic items? They're starting to do so.


Mechanical devices always seem to find a following. When I was in high school, my best friend collected phonographs, old recordings, and musical instruments. All three categories didn't simply sit on a shelf: he actively played and used what he bartered for or bought outright. To have witnessed my friend's delight on obtaining a rare phonograph remains a sweet memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment