Friday, October 29, 2010

Pontiac R.I.P.

Today's New York Times reminds us that the General Motors Pontiac brand's Halloween will not be happy. In fact, the brand will be a zombie as of November 1st. It will be kaput.

I mentioned the story to my wife. She recalled how her family once owned a Pontiac. In her family's case, the car of choice was a white Bonneville. The car was equipped with a center console that, at the time, was an unusual feature.

While I haven't broached the subject with others, I feel safe in assuming many have had a Pontiac in their family histories. Pontiacs were an everyperson sort of car, and someone's dad drove one. I've never owned a Pontiac, but I did rent one. The ride was nice, but in the end I didn't care.

For the Pontiac brand, in the end, not enough people cared about it.

The photograph, from a different time, shows a 1958 Pontiac Star Chief.

No comments:

Post a Comment