Sunday, October 10, 2010

Black Bear

I saw a black bear today. My wife and I were driving through Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area this afternoon when we saw the animal near the side of the narrow road. The bear looked over its shoulder when it heard our car's engine. One glance at our vehicle was enough to convince the creature to run away from us. Well, it didn't exactly run. The bear's gait was more akin to a clumsy gallop than a run. The bear made it into the trees and bushes and then checked us out again.

I was completely charmed. I had never seen a black bear in the wild, and the sighting was the last thing I expected this afternoon. I had not planned to go out today, as I had a project deadline to meet. Work was done ahead of schedule, and that gave my wife and I time to go out. Visiting the National Recreation Area was unintended, as we simply drove west toward the Delaware River and got off at the last exit on Interstate 80 in New Jersey.

I had seen bears in the wild once before. However, those bears were brown and I saw them from the deck of a ship off the Alaskan coast. Today's sighting was much more satisfying and visceral, as it was a complete surprise, and we were rather close to the bear.

For me, spotting a bear in the wild is as unique as when I saw a palm tree for the first time. To this day, I remember the palm tree, and I'm certain I'll remember the black bear hastily and wisely avoiding human contact. I'll also look in the night sky, where Ursa Major is a frequent visitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment