Friday, October 15, 2010

Camp Randall

Tomorrow night, Ohio State will play Wisconsin at the Badgers' home field, Camp Randall Stadium. I went to UW football games when I attended the university. The games were very rowdy, a lot of fun, and sometimes freezing cold in the stands. At that time, Wisconsin's football teams were around .500. The highlight of the season was when a Big Ten powerhouse came to town. That meant either Ohio State or Michigan.

While I never saw a Michigan game, I did catch the Buckeyes. Woody Hayes, in the twlight of his career, was the coach. When one attends a sports event in person, one quickly notices the size of players. The difference in perception between live action and television is most noticeable in nuances such as relative sizes of the athletes. Ohio State's players were far bigger than anything Wisconsin had on the field. They were also faster, but it was the size differential that was very, very striking.

At the end of the game, I was very upset that State had won. We were seated within a stone's throw of the area where the Ohio State team exited the field. I took the "throw" part to heart, picked up an object, and was about ready to throw it at Hayes himself. Fortunately, a friend (Charlie, for those who know the people in the story) kept his head and prevented me from what would have been an act of certain folly, likely severe injury, and probable arrest. He scolded me and told me I was crazy to even contemplate such an act.

He was right, of course.

I know better now. And I remain a fan. I still root for the Badgers. I work with someone whose daughter attends Ohio State. We didn't bet on the game, but we know where we stand. One of us will be happier than the other on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment