Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bodyguards

A story in today's Washington Post discusses the rising use of bodyguards among China's wealthiest citizens. While the People's Republic hardly seems like a 21st Century version of Prohibition Chicago, the expanding gap between the have-a-lots and the have-nothings has created plenty of anxiety among China's newly rich. The "weapons" of choice for the bodyguards are martial-arts techniques. According to the story, there is a preference for bodyguards that are not physically imposing. Notable exceptions are athletes and international celebrities, who only feel comfortable around bouncer-sized bodyguards.

In my admittedly very limited experience around bodyguards, I've rarely felt at ease near them. Their presence suggests the possibility of an incident in which I would almost certainly be the proverbial "innocent bystander." In my lifetime, I did know someone who was hired to work as a bodyguard. To rephrase Raymond Chandler, violence was his business. I was aware of his ability to injure and kill, Western-style with firearms or Asian-style with limbs. That knowledge did not help me feel secure.

I have known people for whom the perceived need for bodyguards was legitimate and not simply showing off their wealth or celebrity status. Intriguingly, when I met them, there were no bodyguards or obvious surveillance devices in evidence. I myself have never hired a bodyguard. The possibility that I could, would, or should do so is an extremely remote one. If that changes, I'll give anyone who cares a heads-up.

The image is from Bodyguard: A New Beginning, a 2009 UK/Hong Kong action-thriller, directed by Chee Keong Cheung.

No comments:

Post a Comment