Sunday, September 5, 2010

Anniversary


Today's blog posting is my one hundredth for Inner Harbor. It's marvelously fitting, and entirely unplanned, that the event corresponds with the anniversary of when my wife Amy and I first met.

We met during the evening on the Staten Island Ferry. For me, I took the ferry to recognize the end of my first, failed marriage, the issues surrounding it, the fallout from a whirlwind of disastrous moves to San Francisco and Pennsylvania, and my recovery. The ferry ride was a way to move forward into an uncertain future. At least I was free, and that mattered a lot to me.

Amy took the ferry, along with some friends, to enjoy the evening and a fireworks display. She was single and wasn't looking for the love of her life that weekend. She certainly was not looking on the Staten Island Ferry. However, "paradigm challenges" have a way of occurring at unplanned, often inconvenient times. That is what happened for Amy and me nineteen years ago this evening. Life for both of us has never been the same since that evening: it's gotten better, year after year.




No comments:

Post a Comment