Monday, December 19, 2011

Saying Good-Bye to Saab

Saab and Unusual Ignition Position
My wife and I read today's Financial Times story regarding Saab's filing for bankruptcy with some sadness. Within the last decade, we had leased three Saab wagons. We enjoyed them, with our favorite being a solidly built, sea green vehicle. I liked -- and now miss -- Saab's logical, yet quirky ignition placement (see photo). The comfortable leather seating was my entry into a higher standard of automotive comfort. My high-mileage Honda never could compete with Saab's amenities.

Unfortunately, my wife and I believed the quality of our Saabs had steadily declined over the years. The cars were transformed from proudly individualistic Scandinavian machines into mushy, diminished GM cars. Toward the end of Saab's financial life, our local dealership was caught in a financial endgame between General Motors and Saab's suitors. As GM held the grip on permission to transfer intellectual property assets to any prospective purchaser, a sale became an increasingly distant option. Finally, when a Chinese buyer (Zhejiang Youngman Lotus Group) made an offer for Saab, GM killed the deal, as its Asian counterparts were competitors in the increasingly lucrative mainland China market.

The moral of the story is that there is no crying in the car business. I doubt there was even a sob for Saab in automotive circles. However, it's a sad day for consumers, as this once-proud brand will simply, and somewhat unfairly, disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment