Sunday, October 16, 2011

Amy Becker's Photos at Hunterdon Art Museum

My wife, Amy Becker, had four of her photos included in the Hunterdon Art Museum's recent group show. Included here are the four works, both as they appear in the museum space, and individually. She also won the Juror's Prize, signifying the event's best work, for Viking.

The show's official opening was today, and we attended in our best New York black outfits. Also worth noting is the statement from the show's juror, Trong G. Nguyen. His thoughtful statement thankfully avoided art world jargon.

I am interested, Nguyen wrote, in the completeness of an artwork. During the jurying process, and when I visit exhibitions in general, I ask myself
one simple question that initially determines whether an artwork will have the chance to resonate with me -- "Is this a complete work of art?" If I find myself at pause or unable to immediately answer this question then that answers a lot for me. However, if I find myself engaged and intrigued, with both my mind and eye, then this says something quite different....Works of art are inquiries into the curiosities of the artist, as well as a subsequent interrogation of these interests. While interrogation is routinely seen as a necessary tactic of law enforcement, in the realm of art the exhaustion of such a strategy is often sought and revered as insight into the mind of the working artist. Harsh interrogative techniques may be a form of extremity, but works that go out on a limb and make me question them usually earn my full respect.



(From left to right: Tunnel Girl, Four on a Bench, Happy Hour.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment