Monday, September 12, 2011

The High Price of Avocados

I've avoided one of my favorite North American-sourced food items -- avocados -- virtually all year. They've become shockingly expensive. It's not at all unusual to see a $2.00 asking price for one somewhat ripe, rather small, non-organically grown avocado. That price counts me out. As my wife and I enjoy Mexican-style food (I realize what we eat is rarely authentic cocina mexicana), this de facto boycott is difficult for body and soul alike.

Expensive avocado prices are not unique to the United States. According to a BBC report, the price of avocados throughout Mexico had, until recently, reached alarming levels. Why? While el norte's demand for the fruit is seemingly insatiable, the BBC story noted that drug cartels may be extorting avocado growers by charging a "toll" for their produce's passage.

I can't think of a useful food substitute for an avocado. I'll just have to compensate by making our margaritas a little stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment