Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Real-Life "Up in the Air" Frequent Flyers Go on the Record


A recent San Jose Mercury News story focused on the u
ber-elite of frequent flyer travelers. These are characteristically businesspeople that fly hundreds of thousands of miles annually. Similar to George Clooney's character in the movie Up in the Air, these endless travelers scheme and plan to collect as many frequent flyer miles as possible. Yes, they do keep score, and high achievement, as measured by accumulated mileage, greatly matters to them. The story isn't too long, and it's fun to read as a window into this select group.

The article reminded me that Up in the Air's dialogue was pretty good. Here's an example, taken from imdb.com:

Natalie Keener: Hungry much?
Ryan Bingham: Our business expense allots forty dollars each for dinner. I plan on grabbing as many miles as I can.
Natalie Keener: Okay, you got to fill me in on the miles thing. What is that about? You're talking about, like, frequent flyer miles?
Ryan Bingham: You really want to know?
Natalie Keener: I'm dying to know.
Ryan Bingham: I don't spend a nickel, if I can help it, unless it somehow profits my mileage account.
Natalie Keener: So, what are you saving up for? Hawaii? South of France?
Ryan Bingham: It's not like that. The miles are the goal.
Natalie Keener: That's it? You're saving just to save?
Ryan Bingham: Let's just say that I have a number in mind and I haven't hit it yet.
Natalie Keener: That's a little abstract. What's the target?
Ryan Bingham: I'd rather not...
Natalie Keener: Is it a secret target?
Ryan Bingham: It's ten million miles.
Natalie Keener: Okay. Isn't ten million just a number?
Ryan Bingham: Pi's just a number.
Natalie Keener: Well, we all need a hobby. No, I- I- I don't mean to belittle your collection. I get it. It sounds cool.
Ryan Bingham: I'd be the seventh person to do it. More people have walked on the moon.
Natalie Keener: Do they throw you a parade?
Ryan Bingham: You get lifetime executive status. You get to meet the chief pilot, Maynard Finch.
Natalie Keener: Wow.
Ryan Bingham: And they put your name on the side of a plane.
Natalie Keener: Men get such hardons from putting their names on things. You guys don't grow up. It's like you need to pee on everything.

I can't imagine flying nearly a half-million miles, never mind ten million. Would you really want to spend that much time in commercial aircraft and airports?

No comments:

Post a Comment