Thursday, December 23, 2010

Syracuse and Living with Big Snow

The New York Times published an article in today' s editions about Syracuse, New York and snow. The story notes that this winter has been particularly severe in Syracuse, with nearly 72 inches having already fallen on the central New York city. However, for an area that averages ten feet of snow annually since 1951, six feet and counting before Christmas is not exactly an unusual phenomenon.

The best quote in the story is provided by a man whom the writer characterized as an avid skier. "I left Minnesota," he said, "because there was hardly any snow. It was just cold."

One is not cheated out of winter in Syracuse. I know, because I lived in the area until I was eleven years old. Most of my immediate and extended family, who also resided there at different points in their lives, can easily swap snow stories. For all intents and purposes, winter has a mythological weight for these family members and for me.

The Times story was spot on characterizing the perspective locals have toward winter. Managing winter is a matter of pride. Walking past six foot-high snow piles is part of everyday life. Though not mentioned in the article, driving in snowstorms is not a big deal. Snow days are rare and begrudgingly taken. Coexisting with winter, enjoying it, and defying it, are all feelings that stay in the blood, remembered, even cherished.

That background served me well over the years. During my collegiate years in Wisconsin, some felt that, because I came from New York, I would be shocked by the Midwestern state's heavy snows, bitter winds, and bleak winter landscapes.

I knew I would feel right at home.

Even now, in New Jersey, where I live, I appreciate the beauty of a heavy snowfall. My wife understands this, and knows I'll willingly go out and shovel snow. Fortunately, my bride enjoys snow and what a Russian rocket scientist I once taught called "the serenity of winter." He would have understood central New York, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment