Saturday, November 30, 2013

100 Greatest Movies of the 1950s

My good friend Mark Sprecher recently reposted a list of "100 Greatest Movies of the 1950s" that David Ehrenstein originally posted on Facebook. The list includes posters from nearly all of the one hundred domestic and foreign films.

I have not seen the entire body of work, although I was surprised by how many I had viewed at some point in my life. I was not raised in a movie-watching household, except for the odd movie shown on network TV.

There's plenty of room for agreement, puzzlement, and outright disagreement. Have fun with the list.

I can't resist a few comments:
  • A few of the 100 are from the world of Japanese cinema. I've never acquired a taste for it, so the choices seem esoteric to me.
  • Some of the Disney selections were fun, and demonstrated an open-minded perspective (art house devotees, this is aimed at you).
  • The mix of 50s b&w and color films is worth noting.

No comments:

Post a Comment