Saturday, April 13, 2013

Sophie -- RIP

Some decades ago, I lived more or less in exile for about six months. It was a difficult time. I confided only with one person: Sophie. She was a remarkably patient listener, who had enough worldly wisdom and insight to help me understand and regain my wherewithal. I've always been grateful for what she did and how she did it.

Sophie could prepare and properly cook Eastern European food. I loved her handmade pierogis, especially the mushroom and sauerkraut variety. I never tired of eating them, or the other Eastern European dishes she prepared, because the cooking was without artifice and the results were invariably tasty.

Sophie passed away last week, three years short of one hundred. She lived a full life, with plenty of challenges, happiness, and heartbreak. We should all be so lucky. Thank you, Sophie; may you rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment