Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Charles Mingus Live Performance Recordings Reissued

Charlie Mingus
(photo: versemusicgroup.com)
I first became aware of Charlie Mingus' music when I was a teenager. I listened to many of his recordings for hours and hours, as did close friends of mine. We grasped and deeply admired his level of musical skill, his material, and his drive. My enthusiasm for Mingus' sound carried over into college. I was fortunate enough to see the bassist and his ensemble perform in a small club in Madison, Wisconsin. It was an interesting night, made a bit more curious when Mingus, et al, smuggled booze into the "dry" performance space.

Lately, I've returned to listening to Mingus' studio efforts and admiring his grasp of composition. According to the Financial Times, Mosaic Records has re-released a number of concert recordings. I can't wait to listen to them, and hear Charlie at his most dynamic. He was a musical titan, who could play with fellow giants, and add something special to nearly any song he performed.

Yes, he really was that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment