Friday, March 9, 2012

The Second Screen, TV, Tablets, and Smart Phones

"The Second Screen"
(image from BBC)
The simultaneous use of multiple electronic devices, such as cell phones and tablets, is something I like to observe in public areas. Recently, while waiting to board a plane at Chicago's O'Hare Airport, I noted someone talking on his smart phone. That took care of one hand. In his other hand was another device to which he frequently referred. I couldn't determine if the gadget was another phone, a music player, or some sort of storage gadget. He was pretty adept with all of his equipment, and was clearly comfortable with them.

I'm not quite so skilled at this sort of gadget juggling. I do have two cell phones, and now and then I use them simultaneously. At home, there's a variation to the story. I might be online via my computer, while using one of my cell phones for some other activity. This dual device environment is becoming, for me, my daily expectation rather than a geeky exception.

Media minds have given considerable thought to personal users' multi-gadget worlds. A concept that's gained some traction in the past few months is "the second screen." The notion is that TV viewers are also actively using another device -- the second screen -- while watching God only knows what on television. Unsurprisingly, advertisers and data miners are quite interested in this concept. The linkage of the small screen with the second screen is already being explored on branded TV experiences, such as the Oscars and the Super Bowl. My guess is that the NCAA basketball tournament will serve as another petri dish for this merging of TV and the online experience.

A September, 2011 Media Bistro article noted how The New York Times was working hard to produce a formula aimed at the second screen crowd. The initiative rather dramatically shaped the newspaper's approach to "reporting" the Oscars, notably in the Times' attempt to engage social media "conversations" to create maximum media impact. Pieces in the Financial Times and venture-savvy vator.tv noted how venture capital firms were beginning to kick the second screen's tires. You get the feeling this could be the Next Big Thing.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment