Sunday, February 19, 2012

Scientists Explore Sea Lion Population Decline

Sea Lions in San Francisco
When I lived in San Francisco, my first apartment was a relatively short walk to the bay. I enjoyed going to its shores and watching sea lions play in the chilly waters. Since that time, I've had a sentimental feeling about these creatures.

Today's online edition of the BBC includes a story about experiments whose purpose is to better understand why North America's sea lion population is in decline. It's an interesting article, highlighting the animals' "coachability" and playfulness. I hope the scientists determine why the sea lion population has diminished to an alarmingly low level, and can show ways to restore their numbers along Canadian and American shores.

No comments:

Post a Comment