Monday, April 18, 2011

Passover

My wife and I celebrated the first night of Passover with dear friends. We definitely enjoyed the evening's warm feelings and religious purpose. On our way home from the seder, I thought about others celebrating the flight of the Jewish people from Pharaonic Egypt.

There's a man in Florida from whom I occasionally purchase movies. A close friend of mine lives on New York's Upper West Side and recently suffered a tough loss. A West Coast friend, whom I've known more than three decades, probably helped with the cooking at his event. A colleague at work had to dash to a family event in Westchester County. There are also those who, no longer actively associated with my life, almost certainly celebrated the holiday.

For all celebrants, Passover is a time of remembrance and gratitude, of wariness and optimism, of family and connection to a larger community united in religious belief. Happy holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment